GENUKI Home page upDurham Contents Contents Nearby PlacesNearby Places

Auckland St Andrew

"This parish, which comprises the townships of St. Andrew's Auckland, Bishop Auckland, Pollards's Land, Coundon Grange, part of Binchester, and part of Newton Cap, is bounded on the north by Byer's Green, on the north-west by Hunwick, on the west by Escomb, on the south-west by St. Helen'sAuckland, on the south by Heighington, on the south-east and east by Shildon, and on the north-east by Coundon and Whitworth. The township of Middlestone, not incorporated in any of the newly formed chapelry districts, but which formerly constituted the north-east extremity of the parish of St. Andrew's Auckland, was in April 1845 annexed to the parish of Merrington. This district abounds in coal and lime; the soil is generally well suited to the production of corn, turnips, &c.; and the scenery is finely diversified by hill and dale, wood and water.

"St. Andrew's Auckland Township, in the parish of the same name, comprises 1186 acres, and its annual value is £12,749.

"The village of Auckland St. Andrew, or South Church, as it is now usually called, is situated on the river Gaunless, which is at this place crossed by a stone bridge of one arch, and is one mile south from Bishop Auckland, and eleven south-south-west from Durham. It contains a brewery,and a manure manufactury formerly occupied as a foundry, but situated in the township of Bishop Auckland. The Gaunless sometimes overflows its banks at this village, and causes considerable damage."

[From History, Topography and Directory of Durham, Whellan , London, 1894]

Cemeteries

St Andrew Auckland

The monumental inscriptions in the churchyard have been transcribed, indexed and published by the Cleveland Family History Society.
Return to top of page

Census

St Andrew Auckland

"The number of inhabitants in 1801 was 121; in 1811, 135; in 1821, 119; in 1831, 296; in 1841, 1367; in 1851, 1329; in 1861, 1401; in 1871, 1811; in 1881, 1274; and in 1891, 3100 souls."

From History, Topography and Directory of Durham, Whellan , London, 1894]

Shildon

"The population in 1801 was 101; in 1811, 124; in 1821, 115; in 1831, 867; in 1841, 2631; in 1851, 2144; in 1861, 2947; in 1871, 5574; in 1881, 6946; and in 1891, 7870 souls."

From History, Topography and Directory of Durham, Whellan , London, 1894]

The following 1851 Census Index booklets published by the Cleveland Family History Society may be of value to researchers interested in this parish:-

Return to top of page

Church History

St Andrew Auckland

"The Parish Church, dedicated to St. Andrew, occupies a commanding position on what was formerly the site of an early Saxon church. The erection of this most interesting structure may be said to date from the early part of the thirteenth century. It is cruciform in shape, consistingof nave, aisles, transepts, spacious chancel, south porch and western tower. The lower stage of the tower is connected with the nave by a fine arch consisting of three chamfered orders, resting on octagonal responds."

[From History, Topography and Directory of Durham, Whellan , London, 1894]

There is a picture (20 kbytes) of the parish church of St. Andrew Auckland; supplied by Richard Hird.

There is a picture (46 kbytes) of the parish church of St. James, Coundon; supplied by Bill Henderson.

Return to top of page

Church Records

St Andrew Auckland

"The parish register commences in 1558." [From History, Topography and Directory of Durham, Whellan , London, 1894]

The Parish Registers for the period 1558-1922 are deposited at Durham County Record Office, County Hall, Durham, DH1 5UL (EP/Au.SA).

The Marriages (1800-1837) are included in the Joiner Marriage Index

Shildon

The Parish Registers for the period 1834-1960 are deposited at Durham County Record Office, County Hall, Durham, DH1 5UL (EP/Sh).

Marriage indexes for1834-1837(3 kbytes) from theGeorge Bell Collection of Durham and Northumberland Indexes.

The Marriages (1834-1837) are included in the Joiner Marriage Index

The following records for churches in the ancient parish of Auckland St. Andrew are also available at Durham County Record Office, County Hall, Durham, DH1 5UL:-

Findhelp, report problems, or contribute information.

Return to top of page

Valid HTML 4.0! [Last updated: 31 October 2010 - Paul R. Joiner]