GENUKI Home page upDurham Contents Contents Nearby PlacesNearby Places

Billingham

"Billingham Parish is bounded on the north by the parish of Greatham, on the north-west and north by a portion of Elwick Hall and Grindon, on the south-west by Norton, on the south by the same parish and the river Tees, and on the east by the estuary of the Tees. It comprises the townships of Billingham and Cowpen-Bewley.

"Billingham Township contains 3139 acres, and its annual value is 29,011.

"The village, about two and a half miles north-east of Stockton, is pleasantly situated on rising ground, from which fine views are obtained of the surrounding country, and the Yorkshire hills across the Tees."

[From History, Topography and Directory of Durham, Whellan , London, 1894]

Census

"The number of inhabitants in 1801 was 335; in 1811, 431; in 1821, 395; in 1831, 401; in 1841, 782; in 1851, 723; in 1861, 931; in 1871, 1022; in 1881, 2300; and in 1891, 2649 souls."

From History, Topography and Directory of Durham, Whellan , London, 1894]

The 1851 Census Index (booklet 11) published by the Cleveland Family History Society may be of value to researchers interested in this parish.

Return to top of page

Church History

"The Church, dedicated to St. Cuthbert, is supposed to occupy the site of one originally founded by Eanred, about the year 860. It is an old and very interesting edifice, consisting of nave, aisles, chancel, south porch, and square western tower; the latter, an interesting specimen of the Anglo-Norman style, is, considering its great age, in a good state of preservation; the belfry openings are Saxon in character, circular headed. The nave and aisles seem to be of a later date, the arcade and chancel arches being of the Transitional period, 1145-1190."

[From History, Topography and Directory of Durham, Whellan , London, 1894]

Return to top of page

Church Records

"The parish register commences in 1570." [From History, Topography and Directory of Durham, Whellan , London, 1894]

The Parish Registers for the period 1569-1953 are deposited at Durham County Record Office, County Hall, Durham, DH1 5UL (EP/Bi).

The Marriages (1800-1837) are included in the Joiner Marriage Index

The following records for churches in the ancient parish of Billingham are also available at Durham County Record Office, County Hall, Durham, DH1 5UL:-

Return to top of page

Find help, report problems, or contribute information.


Valid HTML 4.0! [Last updated: 01 September 2014 - Paul R. Joiner]