GENUKI Home page upDurham ContentsContents Nearby PlacesNearby Places

Castle Eden

"This parish, which comprises no dependent townships, is bounded on the north by Easington parish, on the west by the chapelry of Wingate (formed of portions of the parishes of Castle Eden and Kelloe), and on the south and east by Monk Hesleden. It comprises an area of 1935 acres, and its annual value is 8473.

"The village of Castle Eden is situated two and a half miles from the sea, a little off the main road from Stockton to Sunderland, about fifteen miles north of the former and twelve miles south of the latter place. It consists of about seventeen cottages with flower gardens in front. Here is a school for girls and infants, with an average of 78 scholars."

[From History, Topography and Directory of Durham, Whellan, London, 1894]

Cemeteries

The monumental inscriptions in the churchyard of St. James have been transcribed, indexed and published by the Cleveland Family History Society.
Return to top of page

Census

"The number of inhabitants in 1801 was 362; in 1811, 257; in 1821, 281; in 1831, 260; in 1841, 558; in 1851, 491; in 1861, 5353; in 1871, 693; in 1881, 880;and in 1891, 1257 souls."

[From History, Topography and Directory of Durham, Whellan, London, 1894]

The 1851 Census Index (booklet 46) published by the Cleveland Family History Society may be of value to researchers interested in this parish.

Return to top of page

Church History

"The Parish Church, dedicated to St. James, is situated north of the village, and was erected, in 1764, by Rowland Burdon Esq. It is a neat and commodious structure, capable of accommodating about 350 persons; and has been enlarged, and otherwise improved, at various periods. The spire contains a clock, and forms a pleasing object in the surrounding scenery."

[From History, Topography and Directory of Durham, Whellan, London, 1894]

There is a picture (17 kbytes) of the parish church of St. James, Castle Eden; supplied by Richard Hird.

Return to top of page

Church Records

The Parish Registers for the period 1694-1974 are deposited at Durham County Record Office, County Hall, Durham, DH1 5UL (EP/CE).

Marriage indexes for 1698-1837 (8 kbytes) from the George Bell Collection of Durham and Northumberland Indexes.

The Marriages (1698-1837) are included in the Joiner Marriage Index

Return to top of page

Find help, report problems, or contribute information.


Valid HTML 4.0! [Last updated: 01 September 2014 - Paul R. Joiner]