GENUKI Home page upDurham ContentsContents Nearby PlacesNearby Places

Darlington

"The ancient parish of Darlington comprises the townships, Archdeacon Newton, Blackwell with Oxenhall or Oxen-le-Field, Cockerton, and Darlington, whose united area is about 7856 acres. Its boundaries are Haughton-le-Skerne on the north, Heighington on the north-west; on the west the Tees and Coniscliffe; on the south and south-east Hurworth, and on the east Sadberge. There are now six additional parishes in the town, formed at various periods since 1843, when Holy Trinity was formed, to the formation of St. Hilda's in 1889.

"The township of Darlington comprises an area of 3569 acres. Its annual value is 149,418. The population of the municipal borough is 38,600, and of the parliamentary borough, 38,033, the one being co-extensive with the other, with the exception of Oxen-le-Field being excluded from the parliamentary. The area is 3909 acres, and in 1891 there were 7215 inhabited houses, 181 uninhabited, and 25 being built at the census of that year; there were 18,485 males and 19,575 females."

[From History, Topography and Directory of Durham, Whellan , London, 1894]

Archives and Libraries

Darlington Centre for Local Studies
Crown Street
Darlington
County Durham
DL1 1ND
Tel: 01325 349630
Fax: 01325 381556
holds a lot of the family history resources that Durham Record Office have for Darlington as copies on microfilm.
local.studies@darlington.gov.uk

Cemeteries

The monumental inscriptions in the churchyard of St. Cuthbert have been transcribed, indexed and published by the Cleveland Family History Society.
Return to top of page

Census

The 1851 Census Index (booklets 41a (Parish of St. John), 41b (Parish of St. Cuthbert), and 41c (parish of Holy Trinity) ) published by the Cleveland Family History Society may be of value to researchers interested in this parish.

Return to top of page

Church History

Darlington, St Cuthbert:
"St. Cuthbert's Collegiate Church, which, next to Durham Cathedral, is the most beautiful church in the county, is supposed to have been erected by Bishop Pudsey. In reference to this fine example of early architecture, it was said by the late Sir Gilbert Scott to be "on the whole one of the most uniform parish churches he knew anywhere, and one of the most beautiful." The church is a cruciform structure, with a tower and spire rising from the intersection of the nave and transepts."

[From History, Topography and Directory of Durham, Whellan , London, 1894]

Darlington, Holy Trinity:

"Church is a neat structure in the Early English style, situated on the road from Darlington to Cockerton and Staindrop, about half a mile west-north-west from the market-place. The foundation-stone was laid by the Bishop of Durham on the 4th October 1836; and an ecclesiastical district, to which this church is attached, was formed by an Order in Council dated April 3, 1843. This district consists of Archdeacon Newton, part of Cockerton, and part of the township of Darlington."

[From History, Topography and Directory of Durham, Whellan , London, 1894]
Return to top of page

Church Records

Darlington, St Cuthbert: "The parish register dates from 1590." [From History, Topography and Directory of Durham, Whellan , London, 1894]

The Parish Registers for the period 1590-1981 are deposited at Durham County Record Office, County Hall, Durham, DH1 5UL (EP/Da.SC).

The Marriages (1560-1837) are included in the Joiner Marriage Index

Darlington, Holy Trinity: The registers for the period 1843-1981 are deposited at Durham County Record Office, County Hall, Durham, DH1 5UL (EP/Da.HT).

Darlington, St Hilda: The registers for the period 1888-1985 are deposited at Durham County Record Office, County Hall, Durham, DH1 5UL (EP/Da.SH).

Darlington, St James: The registers for the period 1873-1962 are deposited at Durham County Record Office, County Hall, Durham, DH1 5UL (EP/Da.Ja).

Darlington, St John: The registers for the period 1847-1987 are deposited at Durham County Record Office, County Hall, Durham, DH1 5UL (EP/Da.SJ).

Darlington, St Luke: The registers for the period 1884-1978 are deposited at Durham County Record Office, County Hall, Durham, DH1 5UL (EP/Da.SL).

Darlington, St Paul: The registers for the period 1872-1973 are deposited at Durham County Record Office, County Hall, Durham, DH1 5UL (EP/Da.SP).

The following records for churches in the ancient parish of Darlington are also available at Durham County Record Office, County Hall, Durham, DH1 5UL:-

The following records are available for non conformist churches in the parish:-

Return to top of page

Description and Travel

"It is a prosperous and increasing town on the great North Road, 18 miles south of Durham, 11 west-south-west of Stockton, 16 east-south-east of Richmond, and 237 north-north-west of London. It possesses many attractive surroundings, especially on the south and west, where the aspect of the country is picturesque and well-wooded, and adorned by many fine mansions, the residences of the principal gentry of this part of the county. The town is well laid out, and is considered one of the cleanest towns in the North."

[From History, Topography and Directory of Durham, Whellan, London, 1894]

Return to top of page

History

The Durham Victoria County History's new website. Most of the historical information on it at present is about Darlington.
Return to top of page

Find help, report problems, or contribute information.


Valid HTML 4.0! [Last updated: 01 September 2014 - Paul R. Joiner]