GENUKI Home page upDurham Contents Contents Nearby PlacesNearby Places

Denton

"The parochial chapelry of Denton, which is dependent on the parish of Gainford, comprises the townships of Denton and Haughton-le-Side. It is bounded on the east and north by Heighington, on the west and south-west by Gainford and on the south by Coniscliffe.

"The township of Denton comprises an area of 949 acres, and its annual value is 1002.

"Haughton-le-Side Township comprises an area of 1060 acres. The valuation of property for the County rate is 937.

"The Village of Denton occupies a quiet and retired situation, about half a mile from the main road between Darlington and Staindrop. Six miles north-west by west from the former, a small brook flows north and south through the village, which is occupied entirely by an agricultural population. Denton Hall adjoins the church, and is a large house, once the residence of the Culleys, who were proprietors of this township.

"The hamlet of Haughton-le-Side occupies a lofty situation, six miles north-west from Darlington. Above the hamlet is an eminence called Leg's Cross, and tradition informs us that King James, on his way to Walworth, sat down upon this eminence, from whence he enjoyed the prospect of Raby Castle, and declared it to be the fairest castle in all his dominions. The view from the spot is truly fine, taking in the well-cultivated hills on the southern bank of the Tees."

[From History, Topography and Directory of Durham, Whellan , London, 1894]

Cemeteries

The monumental inscriptions in the churchyard have been transcribed, indexed and published by the Cleveland Family History Society.
Return to top of page

Census

"Census populations for Denton were:- 1801 - 141; 1811 - 129; 1821 - 125; 1831 - 144; 1841 - 119; 1851 - 121; 1861 - 111; 1871 - 111; 1881 - 84; 1891 - 114. Census populations for Haughton-le-Side were:- 1801 - 102; 1811 - 113; 1821 - 122; 1831 - 130; 1841 - 130; 1851 - 146; 1861 - 133; 1871 - 113; 1881 - 103; 1891 - 89."

[From History, Topography and Directory of Durham, Whellan , London, 1894]

The 1851 Census Index (booklet 69) published by the Cleveland Family History Society may be of value to researchers interested in this parish.

Return to top of page

Church History

"Denton, it is believed, has had no less than four chapels at various periods, each one having to be replaced on account of the ruinous state it was allowed to fall into. The first chapel is supposed to have been of Norman Foundation, which gave place to an Early English edifice, this being entirely rebuilt in 1810, and of no particular style. During the rebuilding, an ancient stone coffin was discovered, supposed to be that of a Knight Templar, and later a cover of Frosterley marble of the same shape, and about the same size, with a sculptured figure of a female carved upon it, was also found. The following inscription in Lombardian French runs round the cover, Hic gist Aubrey de Coynners sa compayn - Here lies the wife of Aubrey de Conyers. The present chapel is a neat stone building in the Earky English style, consisting of nave and chancel, with a south porsh at the west end. The chancel fittings and pulpit are of oak and of good design. The chapel is built almost on the site of its predecessor, and will seat 100, having been built at a cost of 1400."

[From History, Topography and Directory of Durham, Whellan , London, 1894]

Return to top of page

Church Records

"The register commences in 1576." [From History, Topography and Directory of Durham, Whellan , London, 1894]

The Parish Registers for the period 1576-1993 are deposited at Durham County Record Office, County Hall, Durham, DH1 5UL (EP/De).

Marriage indexes for 1673-1837 (11 kbytes) from the George Bell Collection of Durham and Northumberland Indexes.

The Marriages (1673-1837) are included in the Joiner Marriage Index.

Return to top of page

Find help, report problems, or contribute information.


Valid HTML 4.0! [Last updated: 01 September 2014 - Paul R. Joiner]