GENUKI Home page upDurham City ContentsContents Nearby PlacesNearby Places

Durham St Margaret

Census

Crossgate

"Its population in 1801 was 1201; in 1811, 1011; in 1821, 1454; in 1831, 1403; in 1841, 1712; in 1851, 2074; in 1861, 2591; in 1871, 2932; in 1881, 3799; and in 1891, 3907."

Framwellgate Township

"Its population in 1801 was 1071; in 1811, 1190; in 1821, 1523; in 1831, 1584; in 1841, 2323; in 1851, 3085; in 1861, 4326; in 1871, 4548; in 1881, 5231; and in 1891 there were 5556 souls."
[From History, Topography and Directory of Durham, Whellan, London, 1894]
Return to top of page

Church History

"St. Margaret's Church stands in an elevated position at the junction of Crossgate and South Street, in the parish of St. Oswald. It consists of nave, chancel, aisles, and square tower, and is said to have been erected during the episcopacy of Bishop Pudsey. The building appears to have been subject to repeated alterations, as various styles of architecture may be discovered. There was anciently a chantry in this church, dedicated to the Blessed Virgin, and of the yearly value of 7, 14s. 8d., out of which 40s. was annually paid to the King's receiver. Rev. John Cundill, B.D., incumbent."
[From History, Topography and Directory of Durham, Whellan, London, 1894]

There is a picture (22 kbytes) of the parish church of St. Margaret, Durham; supplied by Richard Hird.

Return to top of page

Church Records

The Parish Registers for the period 1558-1983 are deposited at Durham County Record Office, County Hall, Durham, DH1 5UL (EP/Du.SM).

Baptism and/or marriage registers for the period 1558-1812 are indexed in the International Genealogical Index, a copy of which is available at the County Record Office.

Marriages for the period 1558-1812 are indexed in Boyd's Marriage Index.

Marriage indexes for 1558-1739 and 1740-1837 from the George Bell Collection of Durham and Northumberland Indexes.

The Marriages (1534-1837) are included in the Joiner Marriage Index.

The following records for churches in the ancient parish of Durham, St. Margaret are also available at Durham County Record Office, County Hall, Durham, DH1 5UL:-

Return to top of page

Description and Travel

"Crossgate is a township in the parish of St. Margaret's, taking in the western suburbs of the town, and the site of that historic battle, Neville's Cross. Its area is 454 acres, ratable value 12,570."
"Framwellgate Township was formerly included in the ancient chapelry of St. Margaret, and a great portion of it forms the north-western suburb of Durham, and participates in the privileges of the city. It was governed by a bailiff, appointed by the bishops, till the charters of Bishops Pilkington and Matthew incorporated it with the city of Durham. The township now comprises 3717 acres, being an increase of 250 - the area of Finchale Abbey Farm, which was added to this township in 1886, and taken from that of Elvet; and its ratable value is 25,151."
[From History, Topography and Directory of Durham, Whellan, London, 1894]
Return to top of page

Find help, report problems, or contribute information.


Valid HTML 4.0! [Last updated: 01 September 2014 - Paul R. Joiner]