"The parish was formed in 1870 from Shotton, formerly in the parish of Easington, and includes the villages of Haswell and High Haswell. The population in 1891 was 4200.
"Haswell Township comprises 3108 acres, and includes the ecclesiastical parishes of Haswell and South Hetton, and its annual value is £17,701.
"The village of Haswell is a place of considerable extent, situated about ten miles south of Sunderland and about four miles from the sea-coast. It contains many large and handsome shops and several inns. It is lighted with gas, and is well supplied with water by the Haswell and Shotton Water Company. Here is a station on the Sunderland and Hartlepool branch of the North-Eastern Railway. Near the railway station is a cattle auction mart, with sales once a fortnight.
"High Haswell, the original village, is about half-a-mile to the north-west, and consists of three farms and a few cottages. In a field called Chapel Garth, the foundations of what are supposed to have been an ancient chapel can be traced. Twenty years ago a holy water stoup was found here, and is now used as a font in the mission-church at Haswell Plough. High Haswll was the first abode of the monks who finally settled at Finchale.
"Haswell Moor is a hamlet, about one mile south of the village, consisting exclusively of pitmen's houses."
[From History, Topography and Directory of Durham, Whellan , London, 1894]