GENUKI Home page upDurham Contents Contents Nearby PlacesNearby Places

Edmundbyers

"This parish, which contains the township of Edmundbyers, is bounded on the north by the Derwent and Northumberland, on the west by Hunstanworth, and on the east and south by Muggleswick. Its area is 7169 acres, and its ratable value is £1700."

[From History, Topography and Directory of Durham, Whellan, London, 1894]

Census

"The population in 1801 was 215; in 1811, 313; in 1821, 358; in 1831, 484; in 1841, 458; in 1851, 485; in 1861, 455; in 1871, 343; in 1881, 352; and in 1891, 252 souls."

[From History, Topography and Directory of Durham, Whellan, London, 1894]

Return to top of page

Church History

"The Church, dedicated to St. Edmund, is an ancient building of stone of Saxon date, consisting of nave and chancel, supported by short buttresses of later date, with small bell gable at the west end. On the accession of the present rector, the building, then much dilapidated, was put into thorough repair, and reseated for 100, accommodation being provided in the chancel for the choir; a vestry has also been added on the north. A list of rectors exists, dating from A.D. 1275. The living is a rectory, valued in the Liber Regis at £6, 11s. 4d.; gross income, £310. There are about 500 acres of glebe land, mostly of inferior quality, including much moorland. Patrons, the Dean and Chapter of Durham; rector, the Rev. Walker Featherstonhaugh, M.A., who was instituted in 1856."

[From History, Topography and Directory of Durham, Whellan, London, 1894]

There is a picture (107 kbytes) of the parish church of St. Edmund, Edmundbyers; supplied by Richard Hird.

Return to top of page

Church Records

"The parish register commences in 1730." [From History, Topography and Directory of Durham, Whellan, London, 1894]

The Parish Registers for the period 1717-1987 are deposited at Durham County Record Office, County Hall, Durham, DH1 5UL (EP/Ed).

The Parish Registers are deposited at Northumberland Record Office, Melton Park, North Gosforth, Newcastle upon Tyne, NE3 5QX for the periods:-

Marriage indexes for 1764-1837 (6 kbytes) from the George Bell Collection of Durham and Northumberland Indexes.

The Marriages (1764-1837) are included in the Joiner Marriage Index.

Index to the Burials 1813-1837.

Return to top of page

Description and Travel

"The village of Edmundbyers is situated south of the river Derwent, nineteen miles west-south-west from Newcastle, and eleven south-south-east from Hexham, and contains a small Wesleyan chapel and about forty cottages scattered around a small green, on the descent of a hill washed by the Burdonhope Burn. Near the village is a quarry which furnishes the finest quality of freestone in the district. Edmundbyers is a village of very ancient foundation, deriving its name from an early founder of the name of Edmund, probably whose location or "byer" had his name attached. It is frequently mentioned in the Halmote Court rolls of the Prior and Convent of Durham, being one of the stations where the courts were held. These rolls have been published in the series of the Surtees Society volumes, and contain many very interesting notices of life and manners during the thirteenth and fourteenth centuries. They also furnish many names of farms and other holdings still existing, and many which have disappeared and cannot be now appropriated. Customs also are mentioned of which few now remain."

[From History, Topography and Directory of Durham, Whellan, London, 1894]

Return to top of page

Find help, report problems, or contribute information.


Valid HTML 4.0! [Last updated: 01 September 2014 - Paul R. Joiner]