GENUKI Home page upDurham ContentsContents Nearby PlacesNearby Places

Elton

"This small parish, which comprises no dependent townships, is bounded on the north by the parishes of Norton and Redmarshall, on the north-west by Bishopton, on the south-west and south by Long Newton, and on the east by the township of Hartburn, in the parish of Stockton. Its area is 1403 acres, and the ratable value is £1182.

"The village of Elton is situated on the road between Stockton and Darlington, about three miles from the former place."

[From History, Topography and Directory of Durham, Whellan , London, 1894]

Cemeteries

The monumental inscriptions in the churchyard have been transcribed, indexed and published by the Cleveland Family History Society.

Return to top of page

Census

"The number of inhabitants in 1801 was 78; in 1811, 76; in 1821, 105; in 1831, 103; in 1841, 92; in 1851, 84; in 1861, 108; in 1871, 90; in 1881, 113; and in 1891 it was 106."

[From History, Topography and Directory of Durham, Whellan , London, 1894]

The 1851 Census Index, booklet 1, was the first published by the Cleveland Family History Society and may be of value to researchers interested in this parish.

Return to top of page

Church History

"The Parish Church is a neat stone building in the Gothic style, erected in 1840, on the site of the old church, and consists of a nave, chancel, and south porch, with a bell-turret at the western gable. The eastern window is filled with stained glass, containing representations of the Crucifixion and Resurrection, erected to the memory of the late G. W. Sutton, Esq., by his widow. A recumbent effigy of a knight in armour, which formerly lay beneath an arch in the north wall of the nave, is now placed within the altar rails."

[From History, Topography and Directory of Durham, Whellan , London, 1894]

There is a picture (21 kbytes) of the parish church of St. John, Elton; supplied by Paul R. Joiner.

Return to top of page

Church Records

"The parish register commences in 1573."[From History, Topography and Directory of Durham, Whellan , London, 1894]

The Parish Registers for the period 1573-1838 are deposited at Durham County Record Office, County Hall, Durham, DH1 5UL (EP/Elt).

The Marriages (1813-1837) are included in the Joiner Marriage Index.

Return to top of page

Find help, report problems, or contribute information.


Valid HTML 4.0! [Last updated: 3 November 2010 - Toby Joiner-Brown]