GENUKI Home page upDurham ContentsContents Nearby PlacesNearby Places

Haughton le Skerne

"This parish is bounded on the north by Aycliffe and Bishopton, on the north-west by Heighington, on the west by Darlington, on the south by Hurworth-on-Tees, and on the south-east and east by Sadberge. It comprises the townships of Haughton, Great Burdon, Barmpton with Skerningham, Coatham-Mundeville including Humbleton and Greystones, and Whessoe with Beaumont Hill.

"Haughton-le-Skerne, a township in the parish of the same name, comprises an area of 1823 acres, and its annual value is 7899. The village of Haughton-le-Skerne is pleasantly situated on the right bank of the river Skerne, one and a half miles from Darlington. It is built on a dry gravelly soil, and has a fine spacious thoroughfare, on each side of which are several substantial residences. A group of noble elms, standing between the ancient church and the entrance to the village, gives it a most picturesque aspect. A building, formerly giving employment as a flax mill or shoe thread manufactory, ceased to be used for this purpose many years ago. Bewick, the celebrated painter, who was for many years a resident here, is buried in the churchyard.

"Barmpton Township contains 1504 acres, its ratable value being 1641. The hamlet of Barmpton is situated in a deep valley, on the left bank of the Skerne, about three miles north-east of Darlington.

"Great Burdon This township contains an area of 580 acres; its ratable value is 1034. The village of Great Burdon is situated on the road leading from Darlington to Stockton about two miles north-east from the former place, and consists of an inn, a few respectable farmhouses, and some cottages.

"The township of Coatham Mundeville, including the manor of Greystones, comprises an area of 1633 acres, the farm called Newhouse being added about the year 1884. The property is rated at 2051. The village of Coatham Mundeville is on the great North Road, four miles north of Darlington, and contains Coatham Hall Garth and Coatham Hall, two pleasantly situated residences. The former is a very intersting old residence, and has been described as "a large and convenient house." Its situation is most pleasant, being sheltered by fine trees. A little to the west of the village is the chapel-of-ease to Haughton-le-Skerne, It is a small brick building, erected in 1865, and will accomodate 130 people."

[From History, Topography and Directory of Durham, Whellan , London, 1894]

Cemeteries

The monumental inscriptions in the churchyard of St. Andrew have been transcribed, indexed and published by the Cleveland Family History Society.
Return to top of page

Census

"Haughton-le-Skerne - population in 1801, inclusive of Morton Palms, was 308; in 1811, 398; in 1821, 466; in 1831, Haughton alone, 710; in 1841, 576; in 1851, 474; in 1861, 536; in 1871, 661; in 1881, 713; in 1891, 737 souls.

"Barmpton - population in 1801 was 126; in 811, 127; in 1821, 105; in 1831, 90; in 1841, 104; in 1851, 135; in 1861, 127; in 1871, 112; in 1881, 120; and in 1891, 104.

"Coatham Mundeville - In 1801 there were 172 inhabitants; in 1811, 151; in 1821, 184; in 1831, 175; in 1841, 138; in 1851, 149; in 1861, 139; in 1871, 125; in 1881, 127; and in 1891, 143 souls."

From History, Topography and Directory of Durham, Whellan , London, 1894]

The 1851 Census Index (booklet 53) published by the Cleveland Family History Society may be of value to researchers interested in this parish.

Return to top of page

Church History

"The Church, which is dedicated to St. Andrew, consists of a nave, chancel, and western tower, but no aisles. There was anciently a guild in this church, dedicated to St. Mary, for the use of which John Esh, in 1493, "took of the lord one cottage, with its appurtenances." A circular arch connects the nave with the chancel, which, with the communion table, are panelled with oak in the Gothic style. The pulpit and reading desk are of oak, in the Jacobean manner, as are the pews in the nave. There is a gallery at the west end. The church is now undergoing a complete restoration."

[From History, Topography and Directory of Durham, Whellan , London, 1894]

Church Records

"The parish register commences in 1569." [From History, Topography and Directory of Durham, Whellan , London, 1894]

The Parish Registers for the period 1569-1972 are deposited at Durham County Record Office, County Hall, Durham, DH1 5UL (EP/HaS).

The Marriages (1754-1837) are included in the Joiner Marriage Database.

The following records for churches in the ancient parish of Haughton-le-Skerne are also available at Durham County Record Office, County Hall, Durham, DH1 5UL:-

Return to top of page

Find help, report problems, or contribute information.


Valid HTML 4.0! [Last updated: 03 January 2012 - Paul R. Joiner]