Durham Contents Nearby Places
"This parish formerly comprised the townships of Coatsay Moor, Heighington, Middridge Grange, Redworth, School Aycliffe, and Walworth. Coatsay Moor was merged in the township of Heighington in 1885, and Middridge Grange is in the parish of New Shildon, as is also a portion of Redworth township lying north-west, and including Brusselton village. This parish is now bounded on the north by New Shildon parish, on the west and south-west by Gainford and Denton, on the south by Darlington, on the south-east by Haughton-le-Skerne, and on the east by Aycliffe.
"Heighington Township now embraces Coatsay Moor, which, up to 1885, was an independent township, having an area of 434 acres. The area of this township, including Coatsay Moor, is 2177 acres, and the ratable vale £4004.
The village of Heighington commands a pleasant southern prospect, being on the south slope of an elevated limestone hill, six miles north-north-west from Darlington. It is healthy and open, the houses surrounded by a large green, in the centre of which stands the church, the school, and a few houses, giving it the appearance of having two greens. The village is supplied with water from a pant, and there being no telegraphic communication, a telephone was opened in 1891.
"Haughton Bank is a hamlet two miles west of Heighington, on the West Auckland Road. Here is a small Wesleyan chapel of stone, built in 1866. Broom Dykes is another hamlet on the same road, about a mile west of the village."[From History, Topography and Directory of Durham, Whellan , London, 1894]
"The number of inhabitants in 1801 was 543; in 1811, 502; in 1821, 557; in 1831, 767; in 1841, 695; in 1851, 685; in 1861, 668; in 1871, 697; in 1881, 621; and in 1891 was 638 souls."
[From History, Topography and Directory of Durham, Whellan , London, 1894]
The 1851 Census Index (booklet 53) published by the Cleveland Family History Society may be of value to researchers interested in this parish.
"The Church, dedicated to St. Michael the Archangel, is an ancient and most interesting edifice. It consists of nave, aisles, an imposing western tower, and south porch. The earlier portions of the structure are of Norman date, and include the north and south walls of the chancel, chancel arch, tower, and south doorway. Originally there were no aisles.
"The tower contains three very old bells, which have been inscribed and dedicated to Our Lady, St. Peter, and St. Paul. In 1878 three new bells were added, at a cost of £229; these were given by H.E.Surtees Esq., Mrs. Tysack, and Miss Hodgson. A clock with very fine chimes was also put in at a cost of £144. The entire cost of the enlargement and alterations, in 1876, amounted to £3709.
"The living of Heighington was anciently a rectory, and was granted, during the episcopacy of Bishop Kirkham, to the priory of Durham, for the "maintenance of hospitality and relief of the poor," on condition of maintaining a perpetual vicarage, with an endowment of thirty marks per annum. It is now a vicarage, in the deanery of Darlington, valued in the Liber Regis at £12, 14s. 9 1/2 d.; gross income £350. The corn tithes of Heighington belong to the ninth stall in Durham Cathedral, those of Redworth formerly to the second and those of Walworth formerly to the eighth. "[From History, Topography and Directory of Durham, Whellan , London, 1894]
The Parish Registers for the period 1559-1994 are deposited at Durham County Record Office, County Hall, Durham, DH1 5UL (EP/He).
Marriage indexes for 1570-1837 (64 kbytes) from the George Bell Collection of Durham and Northumberland Indexes.
The Marriages (1570-1837) are included in the Joiner Marriage Index.
Find help, report problems, or contribute information.