GENUKI Home page upDurham ContentsContents Nearby PlacesNearby Places

Kelloe

"This ancient parish includes the village of East Hetton in the township of Coxoe, and Garmondsway Moor, an extra-parochial place. The population in 1891 was 2570.
"Kelloe Township contains the village called Kelloe Town and the hamlet called Church Kelloe, the latter of which is situated half a mile west of the former, and contains the parish church. It is five and a half miles south-south-east of Durham and five miles north of Sedgefield. West View is another hamlet, containing about eighty houses, occupied by the workmen at the colliery. Kelloe Hall. Situated at Town Kelloe, is now used as a farmhouse.
"East Hetton is a colliery village, situated about one mile east of Coxhoe in that township, but is in the parish of Kelloe. Here are chapels belonging to the Wesleyans and primitives, also a Board school, erected in 1877 by the Coxhoe School Board, at a cost of 1880, and enlarged in 1892, at a further cost of 700. The building has two departments, mixed and infants, with accommodation for about 400 children, and an average attendance of 360."
[From History, Topography and Directory of Durham, Whellan , London, 1894]

Cemeteries

The monumental inscriptions in the churchyard of St. Helen, and the cemetery, have been transcribed, indexed and published by the Cleveland Family History Society.

Return to top of page

Census

"The population in 1801 was 80; in 1811, 72; in 1821, 101; in 1831, 102; in 1841, 156; in 1851, 149; in 1861, 530; in 1871, 509; in 1881, 936; and in 1891, 976 souls."
[From History, Topography and Directory of Durham, Whellan , London, 1894]
Return to top of page

Church History

"The Church, dedicated to St. Helen, stands in a deep valley to the north of Kelloe Beck. It is an ancient structure , consisting of nave, with chapel on the north side; chancel, south porch, and Norman tower at the west end, containing two bells, one of which is pre-Reformation times. The church was restored in 1854, at a cost of 600, during which time several Late perpendicular windows were inserted, the roof repaired, the interior renovated, and reseated in pitch pine, and the walls of the nave plastered. The living is a vicarage, valued in the Liber Regis at 20; gross income, 1000, with 250 acres of glebe. The tithes were commuted in 1839; aggregate amount, 175, 15s. 7d. Patron, the Bishop of Durham; vicar, the Rev. William Richard Burnet, M.A., Hon. Canon of Durham and rural dean."
[From History, Topography and Directory of Durham, Whellan , London, 1894]

There is a picture (20 kbytes) of the parish church of St. Helen, Kelloe; supplied by Richard Hird.

Return to top of page

Church Records

"The parish register commences in 1693." [From History, Topography and Directory of Durham, Whellan , London, 1894]

The Parish Registers for the period 1693-1991 are deposited at Durham County Record Office, County Hall, Durham, DH1 5UL (EP/Ke).

Marriage indexes for 1653-1837 (32 kbytes) from the George Bell Collection of Durham and Northumberland Indexes.

The Marriages (1653-1837) are included in the Joiner Marriage Index.

The following records for churches in the ancient parish of Kelloe are also available at Durham County Record Office, County Hall, Durham, DH1 5UL:-

Return to top of page

History

David Cook, a member of NDFHS, has constructed a web page on the history of Wheatley Hill. It has information on the history of the village and pit as well as photos, biographies etc
Return to top of page

Find help, report problems, or contribute information.


Valid HTML 4.0! [Last updated: 01 September 2014 - Paul R. Joiner]