GENUKI Home page upDurham ContentsContents Nearby PlacesNearby Places

Long Newton

"Long Newton Parish is bounded on the north-east and north by the parishes of Elton and Bishopton, on the west by Sadberge, on the south-west by Middleton St. George parish, on the south and south-east by Egglescliffe, and on the east by the township of Preston, in the parish of Stockton.. It forms only one constablery or township, which comprises Coatham Conyers and Goosepool. The latter is attached to this parish in ecclesiastical matters, but for other purposes it is said to be in Middleton St. George parish. Long Newton parish comprises an area of 7405 acres, and the value of property assessed for the County rate, 6571, 10s.

"The Village is situated on the road between Stockton and Darlington, and extends to withing four and a half miles from the former, and is six miles from the latter."

[From History, Topography and Directory of Durham, Whellan , London, 1894]

Cemeteries

The monumental inscriptions in the churchyard have been transcribed, indexed and published by the Cleveland Family History Society.
Return to top of page

Census

"The population in 1801 was 295; in 1811, 253; in 1821, 338; in 1831, 313; in 1841, 293; in 1851, 325; in 1861, 353; in 1871, 313; in 1881, 268; and in 1891 it was 287."

[From History, Topography and Directory of Durham, Whellan , London, 1894]

The 1851 Census Index, booklet 1, was the first published by the Cleveland Family History Society and may be of value to researchers interested in this parish.

Return to top of page

Church History

"The Church is a small stone edifice in the Early English style, dedicated to St. Mary. It has twice been rebuilt, in 1806 and in 1858, and occupies the site of a very ancient church. The present edifice was built by Frances Ann, Marchioness of Londonderry. It now consists of nave, chancel, and south aisle; on the north of the chancel, and forming a transept, is the Londonderry mausoleum. The aisle is separated from the nave by an arcade of three pointed arches, springing from octagonal pillars. In the spacious chancel is a fine carved stone reredos, a memorial to the late rector, the Rev. Jonathan Wilson. Within the mausoleum is an exquisitely sculptured altar-tomb of white marble, by Monti. The recumbent figure of the third Marquis of Londonderry, whose tomb it is, is represented in full uniform and martial cloak, and is most faithfully and delicately executed. In the right hand is held his sword; at his feet is placed his helmet, below which is the inscription, "Rest, warrior, rest, thy work is done." Behind the tomb, beneath a painted and foliated arch, is a tablet, recording the battles in which he was engaged. There is also a mural tablet to the memory of Frances Ann, Marchioness of Londonderry, only daughter of Sir Henry Vane Tempest, who died in 1865. There was formerly a chantry in this church, dedicated to the Blessed Virgin, but it is not recorded by whom it was founded. The church will seat 240."

[From History, Topography and Directory of Durham, Whellan , London, 1894]

There is a picture (21 kbytes) of the parish church of St. Mary, Long Newton; supplied by Paul R. Joiner.

Return to top of page

Church Records

The register dates from 1564. [From History, Topography and Directory of Durham, Whellan , London, 1894]

The Parish Registers for the period 1564-1978 are deposited at Durham County Record Office, County Hall, Durham, DH1 5UL (EP/LN).

Marriage indexes for 1564-1837 (31 kbytes) from the George Bell Collection of Durham and Northumberland Indexes.

The Marriages (1564-1837) are included in the Joiner Marriage Index.

Return to top of page

Find help, report problems, or contribute information.


Valid HTML 4.0! [Last updated: 3 November 2010 - Toby Joiner-Brown]