GENUKI Home pageupDurham ContentsContents Nearby PlacesNearby Places

Monkwearmouth

"Monkwearmouth Township, on the north bank of the Wear, contains 550 acres, and its ratable value is 30,130.
"Monkwearmouth Shore Township is chiefly held by Sir Hedworth Williamson, who is lord of the manor; it contains 287 acres, having a ratable value of 57,153. This township lies on the bank of the Wear, and for this reason has increased in importance as the coal and shipping trades developed."
[From History, Topography and Directory of Durham, Whellan, London, 1894]

Census

Monkwearmouth Township

"In 1801 its population numbered 1103; in 1811, 1091; in 1821, 1278; in 1831, 1498; in 1841, 2155; in 1851, 3366; in 1861, 3343; in 1871, 5507; in 1881, 8355; and in 1891, 8505."

Monkwearmouth Shore Township

"In 1801 there were 4239 inhabitants; in1811, 4264; in 1821, 4924; in 1831, 6051; in 1841, 7742; in 1851, 10,109; in 1861, 15,139; in 1871, 16,641; in 1881, 17,765; and in 1891, 20,564."
[From History, Topography and Directory of Durham, Whellan, London, 1894]
Return to top of page

Church History

Monkwearmouth, St. Peter

"Monkwearmouth Parish Church - This venerable edifice, which is dedicated to St. Peter, is of very ancient foundation, but little now remains of the original structure except the western porch and part of wall. "It is 1218 years since the pious servant of Christ, Biscop surnamed Benedict, began to build a monastery in honour of the most blessed Peter, the chief of the Apostles, on the north side of the mouth of the Wear. The venerable and devout King of Northumbria, Ecgfrid, gave him a site and helped him in the work." That is what Bede tells us.
"The church has undergone frequent repairs and alterations. Towards the close of the eighteenth century, lamentable want of taste was displayed in the removal of the thirteenth century arcade, and in the erection of unsightly galleries. In 1875 it was carefully and intelligently restored, in s style more in harmony with and more worthy of its rich historical associations. The church as it now stands may be described as consisting of nave, chancel, north aisle, with short transept and north porch.
"The Church formerly possessed a chantry, dedicated to St. Lawrence, which was founded here in 1220 by one of the Hetoif family, to whom the advowson of the living formerly belonged. The living is a vicarage in the deanery of Wearmouth. The revenue of the benefice, which is about 420 a year, is derived from tithe rent-charge, from funds administered by Queen Anne's Bounty and the Ecclesiastical Commissioners, from the rent of a house and stables in Monkwearmouth, and from surplice fees. The patron is the Bishop of Durham, and the vicar the Rev. C.G. Hopkinson, M.A."
[From History, Topography and Directory of Durham, Whellan, London, 1894]

There is a picture (85 kbytes) of the parish church of St. Peter, Monkwearmouth; supplied by Richard Hird.

Roker

There is a picture (11 kbytes) of the parish church of St. Andrew, Roker; supplied by George Bell.

Return to top of page

Church Records

"In 1790, the parish registers were destroyed by the fire which broke out in the Hall, then the residence of the minister, excepting the register of Marriages from 16th October 1785, of Baptisms from 2nd September 1779, and of Burials from 3rd January 1768."
[From History, Topography and Directory of Durham, Whellan, London, 1894]

The Parish Registers for the period 1683-1987 are deposited at Durham County Record Office, County Hall, Durham, DH1 5UL (EP/Mo.SP).

Marriage indexes for

from the George Bell Collection of Durham and Northumberland Indexes.

The Marriages (1560-1837) are included in the Joiner Marriage Index.

The following records for churches in the ancient parish of Monkwearmouth are also available at Durham County Record Office, County Hall, Durham, DH1 5UL:-

Return to top of page

Description and Travel

"Roker is a pleasant maritime suburb, overlooking the outer harbour on the north-east, and is within easy distance from the centre of the town. (Sunderland - Ed) Great improvements were effected here in 1885-86, when the splendid parapeted walks and carriage-way, leading to and extending along the sands, were completed, at a cost to the corporation of 10,306. An additional attraction is the North Pier of the new harbour, now approaching completion, which forms a magnificent promenade, extending into the sea a distance of half a mile. With adequate accommodation for visitors, Roker, with its picturesque coast and beautiful park, bids fair soon to become one of the most popular seaside resorts on the north-east coast."
[From History, Topography and Directory of Durham, Whellan, London, 1894]

History

Adrian Abbott has provided a transcription of a handwritten document at Sunderland Library entitled "Reflections of Southwick From The year 1847" by Luke Crown.
Return to top of page

Find help, report problems, or contribute information.


Valid HTML 4.0! [Last updated: 01 September 2014 - Paul R. Joiner]