GENUKI Home page upDurham ContentsContents Nearby PlacesNearby Places

Redmarshall

"Redmarshall Parish, comprising the townships of Carleton and Redmarshall, is bounded on the north by Stillington and Sedgefield, on the west by Bishopton, on the south by Elton, and on the east by Norton. The townships of Carleton and Redmarshall are included in the Stockton Poor Law Union.

"Carleton Township has an area of 1334 acres, and its annual value is 7896.

"The village of Carlton is about four miles to the north-west of Stockton. Here is a small Wesleyan chapel erected in 1871, which will seat about 150 persons.

"Redmarshall Township contains 834 acres, and the annual value of property assessed for the County rate is 602, 10s.

"The village of Redmarshall is situated four and a half miles north-west of Stockton."

[From History, Topography and Directory of Durham, Whellan , London, 1894]

Cemeteries

The monumental inscriptions in the churchyard have been transcribed, indexed and published by the Cleveland Family History Society.
Return to top of page

Census

"The population of Carleton Township in 1801 was 99; in 1811, 105; in 1821, 140; in 1831, 183; in 1841, 157; in 1851, 186; in 1861, 156; in 1871, 185; in 1881, 209; and in 1891, 217.

"The number of inhabitants of Redmarshall Township in 1801 was 60; in 1811, 76; in 1821, 75; in 1831, 56; in 1841, 48; in 1851, 76; in 1861, 62; in 1871, 75; in 1881, 91; and in 1891, 78 souls."

[From History, Topography and Directory of Durham, Whellan , London, 1894]

The 1851 Census Index, booklet 1, was the first published by the Cleveland Family History Society and may be of value to researchers interested in this parish.

Return to top of page

Church History

"The Church, an ancient stone structure, dedicated to St. Cuthbert, consists of nave with small southern porch, chancel with south transept or "Claxton Porch," and a fine massive western tower. The more ancient portions appear to date from the Norman period, the Claxton Porch being added in the fourteenth century as a chantry. The very interesting sedilia on the south side of the chancel and the large arch on the north appear also of this date. The Claxton porch contains two remarkable figures in alabaster, representing Thomas Langton of Wynyard, 1417, and Sybil his wife. The work is of high character, but both figures are much defaced."

[From History, Topography and Directory of Durham, Whellan , London, 1894]

There is a picture (17 kbytes) of the parish church of St. Cuthbert, Redmarshall; supplied by Paul R. Joiner.

Return to top of page

Church Records

"The parish register commences in 1564." [From History, Topography and Directory of Durham, Whellan , London, 1894]

The Parish Registers for the period 1574-1977 are deposited at Durham County Record Office, County Hall, Durham, DH1 5UL (EP/Pi).

Marriage indexes for 1560-1837 (26 kbytes) from the George Bell Collection of Durham and Northumberland Indexes.

The Marriages (1560-1837) are included in the Joiner Marriage Index.

Return to top of page

Find help, report problems, or contribute information.


Valid HTML 4.0! [Last updated: 01 September 2014 - Paul R. Joiner]