GENUKI Home pageupDurham ContentsContents Nearby PlacesNearby Places

Staindrop

"The town of Staindrop is situated on the turnpike road, between the city of Durham and Barnard Castle, 19 miles from the former and 15 from the latter. It is 32 miles by the turnpike road from Gateshead, the same distance from Sunderland, 11 from Darlington, and 244 from London. The town consists principally of one wide street, about half a mile in length, and contains several substantial houses, the residences of many respectable families. The Lnagley Beck, which is crossed by a bridge, near the east end of the church, passes it on the north, and separates it from Raby. On every side is rich and picturesque woodland scenery, through which are many pleasant walks. Raby, with its fine old castle and extensive and attractive park, is in close proximity.

"The township of Staindrop comproses an area of 1751 acres, and the property was valued for the County rate, in 1893, at £5290. Staindrop Moor has been enclosed and divided in pursuance of an Act of Parliament obtained in 1764. It contained about 500 acres, which were distributed amongst the adjoining proprietors. Snotterton, supposed to be the Cnapton of Canute, is situated about a mile west from the town of Staindrop, and was anciently a manor, though it now consists oly of a farm, with a house, called Raby Grange, bult in 1831, on the site of the old family mansion."

[From History, Topography and Directory of Durham, Whellan, London, 1894]

Cemeteries

The monumental inscriptions in the churchyard of St. Mary and the Quaker Burial ground have been transcribed, indexed and published by the Cleveland Family History Society.

Return to top of page

Census

"The number of inhabitants in 1801 was 1156; in 1811, 1087; in 1821, 1273; in 1831, 1478; in 1841, 1399; in 1851, 1429; in 1861, 1333; in 1871, 1234; in 1881, 1318; and in 1891, 1307."

[From History, Topography and Directory of Durham, Whellan, London, 1894]

The 1851 Census Index (booklet 58) published by the Cleveland Family History Society may be of value to researchers interested in this parish.

Return to top of page

Church History

"The Church, dedicated to the Blessed Virgin, is a most interesting structure, and bears traces of great antiquity, many distinct evidences of a church of early Saxon foundation being still in existence. The church, in its present form, consists of nave, north and south aisles, both of which are wider than the nave itself, chancel, with spacious vestry, and priest's house or "domus inclusa" over it, a north transept, an engaged western tower, and south porch. Traces of an early Saxon church are to be seen in the spandrils of the three eastern arches of the nave on each side, and in the eatern wall of the nave, as high as the springing of the Early Pointed roof. The material use din these ancient fragments of walls is coarse rubble, thickly patched with original moss, decisive proof that a great part of it has not been quarried, but won from the surfcae."

[From History, Topography and Directory of Durham, Whellan, London, 1894]

There is a picture (62 kbytes) of the parish church of St. Mary, Staindrop; supplied by Paul R. Joiner.

There is a further picture (19 kbytes) of the parish church of St. Mary, Staindrop; supplied by Richard Hird.

Return to top of page

Church Records

The Parish Registers for the period 1635-1973 are deposited at Durham County Record Office, County Hall, Durham, DH1 5UL (EP/Stai).

Indexes to the Baptisms 1813-1837:-

Index to the Burials 1807-1840:-

Marriage indexes for 1626-1764 and 1765-1837 from the George Bell Collection of Durham and Northumberland Indexes.

The Marriages (1626-1837) are included in the Joiner Marriage Index.

Return to top of page

Find help, report problems, or contribute information.


Valid HTML 4.0! [Last updated: 01 September 2014 - Paul R. Joiner]