GENUKI Home page upDurham ContentsContents Nearby PlacesNearby Places

Stillington

"Stillington Parish was formed in 1878 from Grindon and Redmarshall. It is bounded on the north by Sedgefield, on the south by Bishopton and Redmarshall, on the east by Grindon, and west by Great Stainton. It comprises the townships of Stillington and Whitton.

"Stillington Township comprises an area of 1019 acres, and its annual value is 8572. The North-Eastern Railway extends into this township. Stillington is included in the Sedgefield Poor Law Union.

"Whitton Township comprises an area of 673 acres, and its ratable value is 8504. The hamlet of Whitton is about one mile south-east of Carlton iron-works.

"The village of Carlton Iron-Works is about five miles and a half north-west by west of Stockton, and contains about 160 houses, principally occupied by the workmen employed at the iron works. Here are the extensive works of the Carlton Iron Co., Limited, which were first established by Samuel Bastow & Co., and taken over by the present company in 1870 for the manufacture of pig iron. There are three blast furnaces, having an output of 500 tons each per week, giving employment to between four and five hundred men and boys. Here are also the works of the Basic Phosphate Co., Limited, manufacturers of ground basic manure."

[From History, Topography and Directory of Durham, Whellan , London, 1894]

Cemeteries

The monumental inscriptions in the churchyard of St. John have been transcribed, indexed and published by the Cleveland Family History Society.
Return to top of page

Census

"Stillington Township - It contained in 1801, 69 inhabitants; in 1811, 42; in 1821, 49; in 1831, 96; in 1841, 67; in 1851, 70; in 1861, 40; in 1871, 60; in 1881, 50; and in 1891, 65.

"Whitton Township - The number of inhabitants in 1801was 38; in 1811, 45; in 1821, 59; in 1831, 75; in 1841, 52; in 1851, 50; in 1861, 40; in 1871, 142; in 1881, 681; and in 1891, 1081."

[From History, Topography and Directory of Durham, Whellan , London, 1894]

The 1851 Census Index (booklet 32) published by the Cleveland Family History Society may be of value to researchers interested in this parish.

Return to top of page

Church History

"The Church,dedicated to St. John, was erected in 1880, at a cost of 2800. It is of brick, with stone finish, in the Gothic style, consisting of nave, south aisle, and transept, and porch at the north-west end."

[From History, Topography and Directory of Durham, Whellan , London, 1894]

Return to top of page

Church Records

The Parish Registers for the period 1872-1979 are deposited at Durham County Record Office, County Hall, Durham, DH1 5UL (EP/Sti).

Return to top of page

Find help, report problems, or contribute information.


Valid HTML 4.0! [Last updated: 01 September 2014 - Paul R. Joiner]