GENUKI Home pageupDurham ContentsContents Nearby PlacesNearby Places

Stockton-on-Tees

"This parish was anciently included in that of Norton, and contained a chapel-of-ease to the mother-church; but the trade and importance of the town increasing, and the chapel falling into decay, an Act of Parliament was obtained in the year 1711 to make Stockton, with East Hartburn and Preston, a separate parish. Two years later, another Act was passed to amend and explain the former. The parish of Stockton as thus constituted was bounded on the east and north by the parishes of Billingham and Norton; on the west by Elton, Long Newton, and Egglescliffe; and on the south and south-east by the river Tees. It is now subdivided into six separate parishes, includes the four constableries of the borough of Stockton, the copyhold township of Stockton, East Hartburn, and Preston-on-Tees.
"East Hartburn Township, situated to the west of Stockton contains 1020 acres, and its annual value is £6202.
"Preston-upon-Tees Township comprises an area of 1108 acres, and its annual value is £6309.
"The borough of Stockton contains 3344 acres, 1 rood, 23 poles, and its ratable value is £17,069.
[From History, Topography and Directory of Durham, Whellan, London, 1894]

Cemeteries

Return to top of page

Census

East Hartburn

"The population in 1801 was 104; in 1811, 115; in 1821, 121; in 1831, 152; in 1841, 135; in 1851, 174; in 1861, 163; in 1871, 208; in 1881, 360; and in 1891, 474 souls."

Preston-upon-Tees Township

"The number of inhabitants in 1801 was 64; in 1811, 62; in 1821, 57; in 1831, 76; in 1841, 111; in 1851, 113; in 1861, 110; in 1871, 111; in 1881, 163; and in 1891, 156."

Borough of Stockton

"The population in 1801 was 4009; in 1811, 4229; in 1821, 5006; in 1831, n consequence of the formation of railways to the coalfields and the progress of trade in the port, it had increased to 7763; in 1841, 9825; in 1851, 10,172; in 1861, 13,357; in 1871, 27,738; in 1881, 41,015; in 1891, 49,659."
[From History, Topography and Directory of Durham, Whellan, London, 1894]

The 1851 Census Index (booklets 12a and 12b) published by the Cleveland Family History Society may be of value to researchers interested in this parish.

Return to top of page

Church History

"The Parish Church, dedicated to St. Thomas a Becket, is situated in High Street, and is a large unattractive-looking structure of brick, with stone windows and doorways, in a style approaching the Italian. It is 150 feet in length by 67 in breadth, with a tower at the west end, containing a clock and a peal of six bells. The entrance is under the tower. On the south side of the site occupied by the present church, there formerly stood a chapel-of-ease, under the parish church of Norton; it was dedicated to St. Thomas of Canterbury, and contained a free chantry, dedicated to the Blessed Virgin, and was endowed with four oxgangs of land and four borough houses, which, in 1588, when the chantry was dissolved, were of the annual value of £5, 3s. 6d. The ruinous state of the chapel, and the increased population of the town, at length rendered the erection of a new church necessary; and an Act of Parliament was obtained in 1711, for separating Stockton from the parish of Norton, and for making the present church parochial; the first stone of which was laid on the 5th June 1710, and the edifice was consecrated by Bishop Crewe, on the 21st August 1712, being then completed at a cost of about £1600. The living is a vicarage."
[From History, Topography and Directory of Durham, Whellan, London, 1894]

Preston-on-Tees

There is a picture ( 47 kbytes) of the parish church of All Saints, Preston-on-Tees; supplied by Paul R. Joiner.

Return to top of page

Church Records

The Parish Church (St Thomas)

"The parish register commences in 1610." [From History, Topography and Directory of Durham, Whellan , London, 1894]

The Parish Registers for the period 1621-1958 are deposited at Durham County Record Office, County Hall, Durham, DH1 5UL (EP/Sto).

Indexes to the Baptisms 1637-1780:-

The Marriages (1637-1837) are included in the Joiner Marriage Index.

Stockton, Holy Trinity

The registers for the period 1838-1982 are deposited at Durham County Record Office, County Hall, Durham, DH1 5UL (EP/Sto.HT).

Stockton, St James

The registers for the period 1868-1959 are deposited at Durham County Record Office, County Hall, Durham, DH1 5UL (EP/Sto.Ja).

Index to marriages at Stockton St. James, Durham 1868-1910 [ ftp ].

Stockton, St John

The registers for the period 1872-1986 are deposited at Durham County Record Office, County Hall, Durham, DH1 5UL (EP/Sto.SJ).

Stockton, St Peter

The registers for the period 1876-1987 are deposited at Durham County Record Office, County Hall, Durham, DH1 5UL (EP/Sto.SP).

Stockton, St Thomas

see The Parish Church.

The following records for churches in the ancient parish of Stockton-on-Tees are also available at Durham County Record Office, County Hall, Durham, DH1 5UL:-

The following records are available for non conformist churches in the parish:-

Records entered into the IGI: Holy Trinity christenings (1574-1812) and marriages (1574-1827); Brunswick Wesleyan Chapel christenings (1824-58), Green Dragon Yard & West Row Independent Chapel christenings (1799-1836); High St Presbyterian Chapel christenings (1688-1836); and St Mary's Roman Catholic Church christenings (1783-1840).

Return to top of page

Civil Registration

Stockton-on-Tees Borough Council have produced a site called Stockton Roots.

"The Councilís Registration and Bereavement Services Team holds records for births, deaths, marriages and civil partnerships dating back to 1837 and burial records for our five cemeteries starting from 1869."

You can use the Stockton Roots website for the following:
Return to top of page

Description and Travel

"The village of East Hartburn is situated on the brook from which it derives its name, on the road from Stockton to Darlington, a mile and a half west-south-west from the former place.
"Preston-upon-Tees Township adjoins those of Stockton and Hartburn on the south, and is bounded by the Tees on the east, and is intersected by the Stockton and Darlington Railway."
[From History, Topography and Directory of Durham, Whellan, London, 1894]
Return to top of page

Find help, report problems, or contribute information.


Valid HTML 4.0! [Last updated: 03 January 2012 - Paul R. Joiner]