Durham Contents Nearby Places
"Trimdon Parish, which comprises no dependent townships, is bounded on the north by Kelloe, on the west by Garmondsway Moor, on the south by Sedgefield, and on the east by Kelloe. It comprises an area of 2280 acres, and its ratable value is £9320. There are extensive collieries in this township, in which the greater portion of the inhabitants are employed.
"The village of Trimdon is situated on an eminence, three and a half miles north by east of Sedgefield.
"Deaf Hill cum Langdale - This ecclesiastical parish was formed by an Order in Council, May 12, 1874, and includes parts of the townships of Trimdon, Wingate, and Kelloe. It contains about 2500 acres, with a population, in 1891, of 2811."[From History, Topography and Directory of Durham, Whellan , London, 1894]
"The population in 1801 was 278; in 811, 274; in 1821, 302; in 1831, 276; in 1841, 382; in 1851, 1598; in 1861, 2975; in 1871, 3266; in 1881, 3057; and in 1891, 4135 souls. The rapid increase between 1841 and 1851 was due to the opening up of the coalfield, which is largely worked in this township, and which led to the building of the villages of New Trimdon and Trimdon Grange."
[From History, Topography and Directory of Durham, Whellan , London, 1894]
The 1851 Census Index (booklet 30) published by the Cleveland Family History Society may be of value to researchers interested in this parish.
"The Parish Church, dedicated to St. Mary Magdalen, is a small stone building, situated in the centre of the village, and consists of nave, with north aisle and chancel. The church was restored in 1884, and the north aisle added, at a cost of £700, and will now seat 150 persons.
"The Church, dedicated to St. Paul, situated in Trimdon Colliery, is a plain brick structure, with stone facings, in the Early English style, consisting of nave only. It was built by subscription, at a cost of £1200, two acres of land being given by the Wilkinson family. The interior fittings are of pitch pine, and will seat 200 persons. This church was built for the ecclesiastical district of Deaf Hill cum Langdale, which was formed chiefly out of Trimdon parish."[From History, Topography and Directory of Durham, Whellan , London, 1894]
There is a picture (22 kbytes) of the parish church of St. Mary Magdalen, Trimdon; supplied by Richard Hird.
The Parish Registers for the period 1720-1987 are deposited at Durham County Record Office, County Hall, Durham, DH1 5UL (EP/Tr).
Marriage indexes for 1721-1837 (9 kbytes) from the George Bell Collection of Durham and Northumberland Indexes.
The Marriages (1721-1837) are included in the Joiner Marriage Index.
The following records for churches in the ancient parish of Trimdon are also available at Durham County Record Office, County Hall, Durham, DH1 5UL:-
Find help, report problems, or contribute information.