"In rolling country a riverless valley ends with this main-street village of red late-Victorian villas and earlier plain brick cottages. At the prettier east end a lane climbs to The Green, an oddly positioned square of turf surrounded by cottages, and the church of St. Peter and St. Paul. This is visually uninspiring from the outside, like many a plain, much restored perpendicular church, but inside is a different story. Nave arcades of pointed arches and round piers having scalloped and floriate capitals are patently Transitional. Bloxam's category of 'semi-Norman' perfectly describes the stone-carving. There is a de luxe Perpendicular arcade in the chancel which also contains dull contemporary screens and poppy-headed stalls."
[From Hertfordshire (a Shell Guide),R. M. Healey , Faber & Faber, London, 1982]
There is a picture (11 kbytes) of the parish church of St. Peter and St. Paul, Kimpton; supplied by Dennis Clarke (Editor - Kimpton Parish Magazine).
Dennis Clarke now provides a copy of the Kimpton Parish Magazine online.
The Parish Registers for the periods:-
are deposited at Hertfordshire Record Office, County Hall, Hertford, SG13 8DE. [D/P61]
Entries from the Marriage Registers for the period 1559-1837 are included in The Allen Index at Hertfordshire Record Office.
The period 1559-1890 is covered by the IGI.
Transcripts of the parish registers for the period 1568-1890 are deposited at the Society of Genealogists, 14 Charterhouse Buildings, Goswell Road, LONDON, EC1M 7BA.
" In the Half-Hundred of HITCHIN 24 Ralph holds KIMPTON from the Bishop. It answers for 4 hides. Land for 10 ploughs. In Lordship 2; a third possible. 2 Frenchmen and 12 villagers with 2 smallholders have 7 ploughs. 3 cottagers; 5 slaves. Meadow for 6 oxen; woodland, 800 pigs; 1 mill at 8s. The total value is and was £12; before 1066 £15. Aelfeva, mother of Earl Morcar, held this manor."
[From Domesday Book: 12 Hertfordshire, Phillimore, Chichester, 1976]
Find help, report problems, or contribute information.