GENUKI Home page upDurham ContentsContents Nearby PlacesNearby Places


"Embleton Township comprises an area of 3356 acres, and its ratable value is £1841. The Stockton and Castle Eden Branch of the North-Eastern Railway passes through this township, having a station at Wynyard, opened as a passenger station in 1880, and for mineral traffic in 1878.

"The hamlet of Embleton is situated four miles east by south of Sedgefield, and contains a chapel-of-ease, in which the curates of the mother-church officiate on Sundays. It was anciently called Elmdene, a name supposed to be derived from an elm wood which formerly flourished in the neighbouring dene."

"Swainston is a hamlet in this township, about three miles south of Sedgefield. The estate, which comprises the farms of High, Middle, and Low Swainston, was the property of the Nevilles from the year 1370 till the reign of Queen Elizabeth, by whom they were granted on the attainder of the Earl of Westmorland, to Thomas Calcerley and Henry Anderson. It afterwards passed to the Tempest family, and is now thw property of the Marquis of Londonderry."

[From History, Topography and Directory of Durham, Whellan , London, 1894]


The monumental inscriptions in the churchyard of Holy Trinity have been transcribed, indexed and published by the Cleveland Family History Society.

Return to top of page


"Embleton Township contained in 1801, 98 inhabitants; in 1811, 105; in 1821, 100; in 1831, 105; in 1841, 98; in 1851, 117; in 1861, 136; in 1871, 129; in 1881, 114; and in 1891, 149 souls."

[From History, Topography and Directory of Durham, Whellan , London, 1894]

The 1851 Census Index (booklet 30) published by the Cleveland Family History Society may be of value to researchers interested in this parish.

Return to top of page

Church History

"The present chapel-of-ease here occupies the site of an early chapel which. like the mother-church, was dedicated to the Virgin, for we find that "Alice de Emedon, daughter and heir of John del Chambre, formerly a burgess of Newcastle, directed her body to be buried in the chapel ofthe Blessed Mary of Emedon." The present chapel is a small plain stone edifice, built in 1860, when the old one was pulled down."

[From History, Topography and Directory of Durham, Whellan , London, 1894]

Return to top of page

Church Records

The Parish Registers for the period 1651-1760 are deposited at Durham County Record Office, County Hall, Durham, DH1 5UL (EP/Em).

Marriage indexes for 1653-1752 (5 kbytes) from the George Bell Collection of Durham and Northumberland Indexes.

The Marriages (1652-1752) are included in the Joiner Marriage Index.

Return to top of page

Find help, report problems, or contribute information.

Valid HTML 4.0! [Last updated: 01 September 2014 - Paul R. Joiner]