"About two miles north-east from Stanstead, in the same hundred (Braughin), stands the pleasant village of Hunsdon, in the parish of its name. From the church, and other positions in the neighbourhood, some beautiful views may be obtained, including the course of the Stort to join the Lea. The church is an ancient edifice, and contains some monuments of remote date; the living is a rectory, in the incumbency of the Rev. Nicholas Calvert; the Rev. Robert Calvert is his curate. Hunsdon House, the residence of Nicholas Calvert, Esq., was in the time of Henry VIII a palace, in which the children of that monarch were educated; and, though much reduced in size, it still preserves a grand and venerable appearance. The parish contains about 600 inhabitants."
[From Royal National and Commercial Directory and Topography of Herts, Pigot & Co., London, 1839]
There is a picture (59 kbytes) of the parish church of St. Dunstan, Hunsdon; supplied by Ian Rose.
The Parish Registers for the periods:-
are deposited at Hertfordshire Record Office, County Hall, Hertford, SG13 8DE. [D/P57]
Entries from the Marriage Registers for the period 1546-1837 are included in The Allen Index at Hertfordshire Record Office.
The period 1538-1863 is covered by the IGI.
Transcripts of the parish registers for the period 1546-1890 are deposited at the Society of Genealogists, 14 Charterhouse Buildings, Goswell Road, LONDON, EC1M 7BA.
Find help, report problems, or contribute information.