"NORTH MIMMS is a village in the hundred of Dacorum, Hertford, two miles from South Mimms. Near the 'Maypole' inn, in this village, at a place called Water-end, is one of those natural curiosities presented by waters collected among the hills disappearing (in 'swallow-holes', as they are termed,) with a great noise; the direction of these waters is unknown, but it is conjectured that they feed the New river stream at Amwell. The church, dedicated to St. Mary, contains some monuments and brasses with inscriptions worth perusal; amongst these is one to lord chancellor Somers, who died in 1716. The living is a discharged vicarage, in the presentation of Mr. Gaussen. In a delightful situation here is North Mimms Place, the beautiful and much admired seat of Alderman, Sir William Heygate, Bart. Population of the parish, in 1831, 1068."
[From Royal National and Commercial Directory and Topography of Herts, Pigot & Co., London, 1839]
The Parish Registers for the periods:-
are deposited at Hertfordshire Record Office, County Hall, Hertford, SG13 8DE. [D/P69]
Entries from the Marriage Registers for the period 1565-1837 are included in The Allen Index at Hertfordshire Record Office.
The period 1565-1875 is covered by the IGI.
Transcripts of the parish registers for the period 1565-1901 are deposited at the Society of Genealogists, 14 Charterhouse Buildings, Goswell Road, LONDON, EC1M 7BA.
Find help, report problems, or contribute information.