Hertfordshire Contents Nearby places
"Ashwell is a village and large parish, in the hundred of Odsey, four miles N.N.E. from Baldock. The remains of a Roman camp and burial place have lately been discovered here; and some earthenware vases, coins, &C. have also been dug up. The church, dedicated to St. mary, is a spacious stone structure, with a tower at its western end, 122 feet high, surmounted by a neat spire of 55 feet. The interior of the church is neat, with some fine carvings in oak, particularly a beautiful screen that separates the nave from the chancel. The living is a vicarage, in the patronage of the Bishop of London, and incumbency of the Rev. Henry Morice, A.M. The other places of worship are chapels for the society of friends, methodists, and independents. The free school here, originally founded by Henry Colbron, in 1681, is now supported by the Merchant Tailors' Company, of London; the number of scholars is about 40. There are alms-houses for six poor persons, and an apprenticeship fund. The population of the parish, in 1831, was 1,072."
[From Royal National and Commercial Directory and Topography of Herts, Pigot & Co., London, 1839]
The Parish Registers for the periods: -
are deposited at Hertfordshire Record Office, County Hall, Hertford, SG13 8DE. [D/P7]
Entries from the Marriage Registers for the period 1678-1837 are included in The Allen Index at Hertfordshire Record Office.
The period 1604-1891 is covered by the IGI.
Transcripts of the parish registers for the period 1604-1968 are deposited at the Society of Genealogists, 14 Charterhouse Buildings, Goswell Road, LONDON, EC1M 7BA.
Find help, report problems, or contribute information.