Hertfordshire Contents Nearby Places
"Cheshunt is a large and populous village, in the hundred of Hertford and parish of Cheshunt St. Mary, which comprises the wards of Cheshunt Street, Waltham Cross and Woodside. The village is rather more than 12 miles from London, 8 S. from Hertford, the like distance S.E. from Hatfield, 8 S. by W. from Ware, 5 W. from Epping, and 4 N. from Enfield; situated near the course of the Lea and the line of the New river. It was in ancient days denominated Cestrehunt; but the most remarkable circumstance in its annals is its having been the residence of Richard Cromwell, the unambitious son of Oliver, who died here in 1712, in the eightieth year of his age. The trade of Cheshunt is limited to that in articles of immediate convenience for its inhabitants, and the opulent residents in the neighbourhood; but it is distinguished by the number of respectable academies in the village and its vicinity. Sir Geo. Beeston Prescott, Bart., is lord of the manor of Theobalds, and holds a court baron twice and a court leet once in the year. The magistrates meet in petty sessions every alternate Monday, at the 'Green Dragon,' in Churchgate. The church, dedicated to St. Mary, and erected in the reign of Henry VI, is a handsome structure; it stands about half a mile to the west of the village; the benefice is a vicarage, of which the Marquess of Salisbury is patron, and the Rev. M. Morris Preston incumbent. The other places of worship are Trinity chapel of ease, in Crossbrook-street, erected about six years ago (a neat edifice in the curacy of the Rev. William Bolland), and meeting houses for dissenters. There are schools for gratuitous instruction under the establishment and on the national system, a free grammar school, and Cheshunt college, observable by its somewhat remarkable spire; the college was founded by the Countess of Huntingdon, for the preparation of young men for the ministry. The number of inhabitants in the entire parish, in 1831, was 5,021."
[From Royal National and Commercial Directory and Topography of Herts, Pigot & Co., London, 1839]
There is a picture (68 kbytes) of the parish church of St. Mary the Virgin, Cheshunt; supplied by Ian Rose.
The Parish Registers for the periods:-
are deposited at Hertfordshire Record Office, County Hall, Hertford, SG13 8DE. [D/P29]
Entries from the Marriage Registers for the period 1559-1837 are included in The Allen Index at Hertfordshire Record Office.
The period 1559-1837 is covered by the IGI.
Transcripts of the parish registers for the period 1559-1910 are deposited at the Society of Genealogists, 14 Charterhouse Buildings, Goswell Road, LONDON, EC1M 7BA.
Find help, report problems, or contribute information.