There is a picture (64 kbytes) of the parish church of St. Mary, Gilston; supplied by Ian Rose.
The Parish Registers for the periods:-
are deposited at Hertfordshire Record Office, County Hall, Hertford, SG13 8DE. [D/P41]
Entries from the Marriage Registers for the period 1558-1837 are included in The Allen Index at Hertfordshire Record Office.
The period 1558-1896 is covered by the IGI.
Transcripts of the parish registers for the period 1559-1896 are deposited at the Society of Genealogists, 14 Charterhouse Buildings, Goswell Road, LONDON, EC1M 7BA.
"Scattered village comprising cottages on two sharp bends of the busy A414 above the Stort, and isolated buildings towards the great house and church to the north.
"St Mary's church stands above a lane going nowhere and overlooks rolling parkland. Of flint, brick repaired, and mainly 13th century, it has a tower with a pretty brick Tudor stair-turret. The north nave arcade features bizarre mouldings inside the arches; south arcades are 19th century. Greatest treasure is the wooden 13th-century screen, with its thin piers amusingly topped by vast capitals. One marble monument to a female Gore includes a breathless, periphrastic inscription; the male Gore remains 'a Prisoner of Hope'. Father and daughter died in 1659.
"Gilston Park (1852), a dour neo-Elizabethan pile, replaces a mansion that Charles Lamb knew and visited. It is now a pharmaceutical research centre."
[From Hertfordshire (a Shell Guide), R. M. Healey , Faber & Faber, London, 1982]
Find help, report problems, or contribute information.