"Hertford is a market town, and borough both corporate and parliamentary, possessing separate jurisdiction, locally in the hundred of its name - 21 miles N. from London, 28 S.S.E. from Bedford, 32 S. from Cambridge, and the like distance S. by W. from Chelmsford; pleasantly situated on the River Lea, which is navigable to the town for small craft.
"The opinions of etymologists and historians are at variance with respect to the origins of its modern name: according to the venerable Bede it is derived from Herud-ford, or 'Red-ford', an appellation acquired from a sanguinary battle fought on its site; while others deduce it from Here-ford, a 'military ford.' The corporate seal, however, represents a hart in the water, and the most prominent feature in the town's arms is a hart couchant: in ancient times the neighbourhood abounded with deer - and it may hence be inferred (an inference coincident with existing tradition), that its name originated from Hart and ford - imperceptibly changed to HERTFORD."
[From Royal National and Commercial Directory and Topography of Herts, Pigot & Co., London, 1839]
For Anglican church records see individual Parishes.
Find help, report problems, or contribute information.