"About two miles north from Hitchin, in the same hundred as that town (Hitchin and Pirton), is Ickleford, a small village in the parish of its name, the etymology of which is traced from the Ickling or Ichneild street, one of the Roman roads. The church is dedicated to St. Catherine; the principal entrance is by a fine arch, in the Norman style of architecture: the living is a rectory, in the patronage of the Peers family; the present incumbent is the Rev. T. W. Thirlwall. Some degree of interest is attached to this church on account of its being the burial-place of Henry Boswell, king of the gypsies, who died in 1760, at the advanced age of 90; the remains of his wife and grand-daughter are likewise interred here. The parish contained, in 1831, 502 inhabitants."
[From Royal National and Commercial Directory and Topography of Herts, Pigot & Co., London, 1839]
The Parish Registers for the periods:-
are deposited at Hertfordshire Record Office, County Hall, Hertford, SG13 8DE. [D/P58]
Entries from the Marriage Registers for the period 1749-1837 are included in The Allen Index at Hertfordshire Record Office.
The period 1604-1875 is covered by the IGI.
Transcripts of the parish registers for the period 1604-1895 are deposited at the Society of Genealogists, 14 Charterhouse Buildings, Goswell Road, LONDON, EC1M 7BA.
Find help, report problems, or contribute information.