"Kings Langley is a village and parish in the hundred of Dacorum - 20 miles N.N.W. from London, 19 W.S.W. from Hertford, 5 N. from Watford, and 3 1/2 S. from Hemel Hempstead. in ancient days this village was a regal residence: Henry III erected a palace here, which subsequently was the birth place of Edmund Langley, son of Edward V; these circumstances sufficiently demonstrate the origin of the present name of the place: scarcely a vestige of the once splendid abode of royalty remains a farm-house now occupies a small portion of its site. A Dominican priory was founded here in the thirteenth century, and richly endowed; Speed states the amount of its revenues, at the period of the general dissolution, to be £150. 14s. 8d. The village, at the present day, is of comparatively trifling consideration; nevertheless it contains many respectable inhabitants, and the manufacture of paper is carried on rather extensively; there is likewise a considerable brewery, and in the vicinity are several corn mills. The church, dedicated to All Saints, is a neat structure of flint and stone, with a large embattled tower at its western end; the benefice is a vicarage, in the patronage of the bishop of Ely. The other places of worship comprise a chapel erected by a congregation of independents in 1836, and (at Chipperfield, in this parish,) a chapel of ease for the establishment and one for baptists. The Grand Junction canal passes through the parish, and a view of the London and Birmingham railway can be obtained from the village. In 1831 the parish contained 1,423 inhabitants."
From Royal National and Commercial Directory and Topography of Herts, Pigot & Co., London, 1839]
The Parish Registers for the periods:-
are deposited at Hertfordshire Record Office, County Hall, Hertford, SG13 8DE. [D/P64]
Entries from the Marriage Registers for the period 1558-1837 are included in The Allen Index at Hertfordshire Record Office.
The period 1755-1850 is covered by the IGI.
Transcripts of the parish registers for the period 1558-1922 are deposited at the Society of Genealogists, 14 Charterhouse Buildings, Goswell Road, LONDON, EC1M 7BA.
The following records for churches in the ancient parish of Kings Langley are also available at Hertfordshire Record Office, County Hall, Hertford, SG13 8DE.:-
Find help, report problems, or contribute information.