"Upon the opposite bank of the Gade (from Great Gaddesden) lies Little Gaddesden, a large village and smaller parish than the one preceding (Great Gaddesden). This parish in former ages acquired some celebrity as being the birth-place of John de Gaddesden, an eminent physician and contemporary writer with Chaucer. The beautiful seat of the Countess of Bridgwater (who has erected a splendid testimonial to the memory of the late duke) is contiguous to the village. The church, a small edifice, dedicated to Saint Peter and Saint Paul, contains several monuments, but none that can afford gratification to curiosity. The population of this parish amounts to 492 persons."
[From Royal National and Commercial Directory and Topography of Herts, Pigot & Co., London, 1839]
The Parish Registers for the periods:-
are deposited at Hertfordshire Record Office, County Hall, Hertford, SG13 8DE. [D/P40] [*microfilm only; original registers not held]
The period 1743-1850 is covered by the IGI.
Transcripts of the parish registers for the period 1604-1984 are deposited at the Society of Genealogists, 14 Charterhouse Buildings, Goswell Road, LONDON, EC1M 7BA.
Find help, report problems, or contribute information.