"Offley (or Great Offley) village and parish are in the same hundred as Hitchin, three miles west of that town - situated upon a commanding elevation. The church, dedicated to St. Mary Magdalene, has a very handsome chancel; the living is a discharged vicarage, in the presentation of the Marquess of Salisbury. There is an endowed charity school here for children of both sexes. Offley Place, the manor house, a spacious and interesting edifice, was erected in this village, in 1600, by Sir Richard Spencer; and in the church is inscribed, upon black marble tablets, an account of that family. Population of the parish, in 1831, 967."
[From Royal National and Commercial Directory and Topography of Herts, Pigot & Co., London, 1839]
The Parish Registers for the periods:-
are deposited at Hertfordshire Record Office, County Hall, Hertford, SG13 8DE. [D/P76]
Entries from the Marriage Registers for the period 1653-1837 are included in The Allen Index at Hertfordshire Record Office.
The period 1653-1876 is covered by the IGI.
Transcripts of the parish registers for the period 1604-1908 are deposited at the Society of Genealogists, 14 Charterhouse Buildings, Goswell Road, LONDON, EC1M 7BA.
Find help, report problems, or contribute information.