GENUKI Home page upHertfordshire Contents Contents Nearby PlacesNearby Places

Pirton

"The small village of Pirton, situated in the hundred and parish of its name, stands three miles north-west from Hitchin. The church, dedicated to St. Mary, is a neat edifice, with a square embattled tower rising from its centre; the living is united with that of Ickleford. A sheep-fair is held here on the fourth Thursday after the 10th of October. Population of the parish, 738."
[From Royal National and Commercial Directory and Topography of Herts, Pigot & Co., London, 1839]

Church Records

The Parish Registers for the periods:-

are deposited at Hertfordshire Record Office, County Hall, Hertford, SG13 8DE. [D/P80]

Entries from the Marriage Registers for the period 1558-1837 are included in The Allen Index at Hertfordshire Record Office.

The period 1813-1850 is covered by the IGI.

Transcripts of the parish registers for the period 1558-1914 are deposited at the Society of Genealogists, 14 Charterhouse Buildings, Goswell Road, LONDON, EC1M 7BA.

Return to top of page

History

There is a new Pirton History Group Website which contains:-
  1. Documents relating to Pirton
  2. Maps dating back to 1800 showing houses, buildings and field names
  3. An interactive database listing 32,000 names which can be used to trace family histories and search for people by their occupations
  4. Historical photographs and drawings
  5. Results of research into village and local history
  6. Links to other useful websites
Return to top of page

Find help, report problems, or contribute information.


Valid HTML 4.0! [Last updated: 27 March 2010 - Paul R. Joiner]