The Parish Registers for the periods:-
are deposited at Hertfordshire Record Office, County Hall, Hertford, SG13 8DE. [D/P97]
Entries from the Marriage Registers for the period 1560-1837 are included in The Allen Index at Hertfordshire Record Office.
The period 1560-1885 is covered by the IGI.
Transcripts of the parish registers for the period 1560-1970 are deposited at the Society of Genealogists, 14 Charterhouse Buildings, Goswell Road, LONDON, EC1M 7BA.
"Greatest asset is its green. Cratered by former ponds, girdled by detached or grouped half-timber and brick villas, its tussocked and hummocky length dips and rises for a third of a mile. A live duck-pond, an odd well and the cheerful Boot Inn add something.
"On the corner (1/2m. SW) by Gothick-windowed almshouses of 1821 stands Holy Cross church, several times remarkable. Its size - it is tiny. Its shape - a cross plan. Materials used - flint plus a generous helping of magical pudding-stone for foundations; smaller hunks are used elsewhere; and Tudor bricks for gables and windows of the saddle-back tower, the only one in Hertfordshire. The interior has a dingy nave, short and cramped, with Norman arches, while the equal-length chancel has a sanctuary panelled and furnished like a miniature Edwardian drawing-room. Jacobean monument to William Kingley and wife is in agreeabkly faded colous, but for how long? Fragment of wall painting shows panoply of medievalia, including crowd, sheep and man playing ?shawm. At Commonwood Common is a rambling freak of a Victorian House. Other 'Englishman's castles' in the parish suggest that wooded, sequestered Sarratt, so accessible by Underground or main line, is a greater favourite with stockbrokers and bankers than Moor Park of Chorleywood.
"In 1852 Thomas Uwins, a watercolourist and Londoner, exulted in the Chess Valley: '... Such woods, such meadows, such brooks!' he wrote home."
[From Hertfordshire (a Shell Guide), R. M. Healey , Faber & Faber, London, 1982]
Find help, report problems, or contribute information.