"Tring is a market town and parish in the hundred of Dacorum - 31 miles N.W. by W. from London, 5 N.W. from Berkhampstead, and 7 E. by S. from Aylesbury, in Buckinghamshire; situated at the most westerly part of the county - the London and Birmingham railway passing within a mile and a half of the town, and the Grand Junction canal at a shorter distance; for the supply of the latter there are within the parish five large reservoirs, covering together, an extent of nearly two hundred and fifty acres. The origin of this town is of considerable antiquity; at the division of the county by Alfred, it was considered of sufficient importance to give name to a hundred, then called Treung. The town consists principally of one long street, containing many well-built houses, some of which are of modern erection. The market house, which is manorial property, stands on the north side of the main street. Courts leet and baron are held annually by the lord of the manor, when two constables are appointed. Tring Park, covered with noble wood, is contiguous to the town; the mansion was erected by Charles II, for his favourite mistress, familiarly called Nell Gwynn; it has since been modernized, is now the property of the lord of the manor, and occupied by Thomson Hankey, Esq. Tring gave birth, in 1699, to Robert Hill, a remarkable self-taught linguist; he died in 1777. Canvass, straw plat, silk and parchment comprise the manufactures of the place; the two first-named branches have for many years been established here; that of silk, belonging to Messrs. Evans and Co., of London, employs more than three hundred hands.
"The church, dedicated to St. Peter and St. Paul, situated about the centre of the town, is a spacious and handsome embattled structure, with a tower at its western end; the interior is neat, the chancel is embellished with several marble monuments, and there is a handsomely enriched font. The living is a perpetual curacy, in the gift of Christ college, Oxford, and present incumbency of the Rev. Charles Lacy. There are places of worship for baptists and independents. A free school, conducted upon the Lancasterian plan, was established in 1829 by Mr. John Hull, and is now supported by contributions. The market, held on Friday, is a large on for straw plat, and is well supplied with the ordinary articles of consumption; the fairs, for cattle and pleasure, are on Easter-Monday and Michaelmas-day. The population of the parish of Tring (including the hamlets of Long Marston and Wilstone), by the census for 1831, amounted to 3,488 persons."
[From Royal National and Commercial Directory and Topography of Herts, Pigot & Co., London, 1839]
The Parish Registers for the periods:-
are deposited at Hertfordshire Record Office, County Hall, Hertford, SG13 8DE. [D/P111]
Entries from the Marriage Registers for the period 1566-1837 are included in The Allen Index at Hertfordshire Record Office.
The period 1566-1875 is covered by the IGI.
Transcripts of the parish registers for the period 1566-1945 are deposited at the Society of Genealogists, 14 Charterhouse Buildings, Goswell Road, LONDON, EC1M 7BA.
see also Long Marston.
Find help, report problems, or contribute information.