"Watton is a village and parish in the same hundred as Stevenage (Broadwater), about five miles N.E. from that town, situated on the river Beane. The church, dedicated to St. Mary and St. Andrew, is a small edifice, containing some handsome monuments, with a square embattled tower; the benefice is a rectory, in the presentation of Abel Smith, Esq., and the incumbency of the Rev. Edward Bickersteth. A school upon the national plan, and one for infants, are in the village. Population of parish, 830."
[From Royal National and Commercial Directory and Topography of Herts, Pigot & Co., London, 1839]
The Parish Registers for the periods:-
are deposited at Hertfordshire Record Office, County Hall, Hertford, SG13 8DE. [D/P118]
Entries from the Marriage Registers for the period 1560-1837 are included in The Allen Index at Hertfordshire Record Office.
The period 1539-1875 is covered by the IGI.
Transcripts of the parish registers for the period 1560-1967 are deposited at the Society of Genealogists, 14 Charterhouse Buildings, Goswell Road, LONDON, EC1M 7BA.
Find help, report problems, or contribute information.