GENUKI Home page upHertfordshire Contents Contents NeighboursNearby places

Broxbourne

"About one mile S. E. of Hoddesdon is the village of BROXBURN - its site a gentle acclivity, intersected by rich meadows, irrigated by the river Lea; the prospect from the church, which stands between that stream and the New river, embraces an extensive range. It is intended to erect a station-house for the Northern and Eastern railway within a quarter of a mile of the high road leading from London to Hoddesdon. The parish of Broxburn contained in 1831 (exclusive of the chapelry of Hoddesdon), 529 inhabitants."
[From Royal National and Commercial Directory and Topography of Herts, Pigot & Co., London, 1839]

Church History

"The church, dedicated to St. Augustine, is spacious and handsome, with a tower surmounted by a spire; the interior is ornamented with some elegant monuments, and the font is of considerable antiquity; the living is a discharged vicarage, in the presentation of the bishop of London."
[From Royal National and Commercial Directory and Topography of Herts, Pigot & Co., London, 1839]

There is a picture (67 kbytes) of the parish church of St. Augustine of Canterbury, Broxbourne; supplied by Ian Rose.

Church Records

The Parish Registers for the periods:-

are deposited at Hertfordshire Record Office, County Hall, Hertford, SG13 8DE. [D/P24]

Entries from the Marriage Registers for the period 1688-1837 are included in The Allen Index at Hertfordshire Record Office.

The period 1688-1857 is covered by the IGI.

Transcripts of the parish registers for the period 1688-1906 are deposited at the Society of Genealogists, 14 Charterhouse Buildings, Goswell Road, LONDON, EC1M 7BA.

The following records for churches in the ancient parish of Broxbourne are also available at Hertfordshire Record Office, County Hall, Hertford, SG13 8DE.:-

see also Hoddesdon

Return to top of page

Find help, report problems, or contribute information.


Valid HTML 4.0! [Last updated: 04 October 2011 - Paul R. Joiner]