"Hoddesdon is a small market town and chapelry hamlet, partly in the parish of Great Amwell and partly in that of Broxbourne, in Hertford hundred - 17 miles N. by E. from London, 34 S. from Cambridge, and 4 S. by E. from Hertford; it occupies an elevated situation, on a line of communication between the metropolis and Cambridgeshire and the north, and from the consequent thoroughfare arises the principal support of the inhabitants, as they have neither manufactures nor any particular branch of local traffic, with the exception of a little malting business; the town, however, is the residence of many genteel families, the vicinity is highly respectable, and the country around has a most cheerful and prosperous appearance.
"The market day is Thursday, and a fair is held on the 29th of June. The population of the chapelry or hamlet of Hoddesdon amounted, in 1831, to 1,615 inhabitants; and with that portion of the town belonging to Amwell parish (375), presented a total of 1,990."
[From Royal National and Commercial Directory and Topography of Herts, Pigot & Co., London, 1839]
The Parish Registers for the periods:-
are deposited at Hertfordshire Record Office, County Hall, Hertford, SG13 8DE. [D/P24A]
The period 1841-1875 is covered by the IGI.
Transcripts of the parish registers for the period 1844-1890 are deposited at the Society of Genealogists, 14 Charterhouse Buildings, Goswell Road, LONDON, EC1M 7BA.
The following records for churches in the ancient parish of Hoddesdon are also available at Hertfordshire Record Office, County Hall, Hertford, SG13 8DE.:-
see also Broxbourne.
The following records are available for non conformist churches in the parish:-
Find help, report problems, or contribute information.